Your roof takes a beating from hail, showers, snow and other weather conditions of the while we stay underneath them warm and dry going about our daily activities. However, the roof can only protect us for a specific period and they undergo various types of damages.
If your in the Dublin 20 area and looking for a roofer, give us a call, we cover all the following areas: Chapelizod, Palmerstown, Liffey area in Dublin 20.
If you wish to see one serving you for a long time, it is prudent to spend money in roof repairs from moment to time so that any little problem with it can be addressed before it becomes significant and force you to spend more or even replace the entire roof.
Going about roof repair projects is not a straightforward thing because you need to address several concerns. Who is the best roof
- Choosing the best Roof Repair contractor in Dublin for the job?
- Exactly how much will the repair cost?
- Exactly how often should the contractor come to check out the roof?
- What if the roof is restored and the problem keeps on remaining a problem?
- What types of problems are roofs prone to in Dublin?
These are some of the concerns that will remain in your mind when planning for a roof repair project. This guide will look into some important aspects encompassing roof repairs so that at the end of it all, you won’t be lost and will definitely have a good idea of how to tackle such tasks. Read on;
Common Types Of Roofing Repairs Challenges in Dublin¯
You are not limited to anything when picking a roofing material. This part will look into some of the most common damages on your roof and how they can be fixed.
1. Loose Tiles/Slates | Blow Off Damages.
These kinds of problems mostly impact slant roofs since the roofing product acts as an obstacle to the wind. The wind can harm the roof in many ways, and the most frequent one is blowing off the material from any part of the roof. It all depends on the toughness of the wind, and it could even blow off the building material from the whole roof depending on how it is exposed. Other parts that can be damaged by the roof are the felts and sheathing that can be blow off.
Fixing blow off damages is not complicated because all one has to do is to replace the material that has been blown off. The new material should be attached to the bottom of the roof securely to prevent additional damage from strong wind.
2. Structural Damaged Roofing Repairs.
An example is a tree blown down by a storm and falling on a roof thus causing damage. The impact of such structural damages depends on the things that have fallen on the roof. They range from simple punctures on the roofing material and sheathing to the entire collapse of the roof.
The proper fix for such problems largely relies on the extent of the accident. For the most serious ones, a roof replacement is advised as the best course of action. Small damages such as punctures and partial damage of the roof structure can be fixed easily by a pro.
Roof shingles can be damaged due to a wide variety of reasons. They wear out long before the roof wears out and might have to be replaced. Other causes of damage to the shingles can be by wind, impact by other items and foot traffic when someone is inspecting the roof. Old shingles can not serve their purpose anymore, and they become brittle and detract from the roof. When checking the shingles, it helps to look at the nails that have penetrated through the shingles as they cause leaks.
Fixing damaged shingles entails replacing them or even the entire roof as advised by an expert.
4. Roof Leak Repairs in Dublin.
These are the most common damages to roofs today. Leaks caused by ice dams are complicated since the specific location where you will see water inside your space may not even be close to where the leak is located on the roof.
Experts come in handy when fixing leaks, and they can do it by examining the cracks and flashing on the roof. They will also look at the chimney and vents, damaged tiles and leaks in the deck for any signs of passages that can allow water to seep through. Depending on where they spot the space, they will seal it and pour water to determine whether it still leaks or not.
5. Missing Flashing.
Roof flashing is an important part of the roof. It is meant to keep water away from the roof and building materials or any other part of that roof that can be harmed by moisture. Over time it gets destroyed and allows rain to seep into the roof. Other typical problems with this part are incorrect installation or missing flashing due to various reasons.
Fixing the flashing depends on the damage to it and is mostly done by examining the roof and replacing them or installing the existing ones properly. Flashings are relatively durable and can be recycled.
6. Rain gutters and Down pipes Repair.
Gutters and downpipes are meant to direct water flowing on the roof away to a drainage system. This helps to avoid cases of water building up on the roof and activating leaks. Gutters can also be blocked by debris on the roof, and this makes them unable to let water flow freely.
Fixing it is done by examining the interior part of these gutters and clearing out any building material that might block the water pathway. Dents and scrapes can also be fixed to allow water to flow freely.
7. Roof Ventilation Problems.
Roof ventilation needs to be in top condition since damages can allow animals and other elements of weather such as hailstones to get into your living space. They also get blocked over time and fail to perform their functionality.
Repairing them entails inspection of the vents and installing new ones if need be.
8. Roof Scorching.
Blistering on roofs is caused by entrapped moisture and poor ventilation within shingles. Blisters are not much of a bother since they do not affect the roof, but the problem comes in when it pops.
Blisters should be pointed out clearly since they can be confused with other forms of problems and fixed by releasing the trapped moisture.
Roof Repair Versus Replacement?
This is one major decision that you will have to make when there are problems on your roof. The cost of repairing some parts of the roofs has risen over the years, and so has the cost of changing the entire structure.
– It is essential to look at the age of your roof before anything else. While several things can cause problems, sometimes they may be a sign that your roof is getting old and requires a renewal. Different roof types have their expected lifespans, and most of them will last between 15- 30 years. If the roof is between fifteen and .. or so years old but still in excellent condition, then repairs still be the viable option. Nevertheless, roofs that are past twenty five years old are not suitable for repair, and it is advisable to replace them rather than having a repair contractor at your place every single week.
– The extent of damage is another determinant when deciding to upgrade or repair. If there is some damage such as a leak, a professional will inspect and check out the extent of it. If the leak is isolated, a repair might work, but if the roof is leaking in many places, a replacement might be in order.
– You should also look at the time you are preparing to stay in that home. If you have plans of selling it in a couple of years, and the roof is in top condition, repairs will be your best choice to avoid the financial implication of installing a new one.
– There is an option of installing a new roof over an existing one rather than doing it from scratch, and it also has some implications. Building codes allow one to roof up to two layers since additional layers could become too heavy for the building.
Choosing the Best Roof Repair Contractor in Dublin
All the information about roof repairs has been presented above, and you will be faced with the task of selecting the best roof repair contractor in Dublin. You will come across several of them telling you why they are the best option but do not fall for this. Selecting one can be done by checking on a couple of things and here are some of them;
– It is advisable to go local. Go for businesses that have a good reputation in Dublin since they are familiar with the challenges affecting your roof. They are a good option since you do not need to wait for long before they can handle an emergency. Lastly, they are more likely to live up to their warranties.
– Experience is key. Roofing repair contractors that have been in the industry for long are your desired option since they have dealt with different scenarios and can offer a proper solution to your roofing problems.
– All roofers will tell you how good their work is but you have to prove this. Ask for references and people who have worked with them for more information on how they operate. If most people were satisfied with their work, then the chances are that they are good at what they do.
– Compare and contrast the proposals offered by various contractors before choosing one. This is the best way to pick a suitable contractor since you can determine the best one out of the ones available. Assess how they approach the problem at hand and amount they quote before making a choice.
– Licensing and insurance is another important thing to look at. They matter since there are many risks associated with roofing repair jobs. You need to ensure that the contractors are insured and they also have a clause to cover for damages around your home during repair.
– Lastly, find out whether they offer emergency services. Your roofing problems might come when you do not expect, and it is important for the contractor to deal with such situations as soon as possible.