Looking for a roof repair professional in the Dublin 4 area? Well we can help you. We cover all of Dublin 16 Ballinteer, Ballyboden, parts of Dundrum, Kilmashogue, Knocklyon and Rockbrook.
Roofs are arguably the very most significant areas of our homes and properties. Try and think of a life by having no roofs; buildings would basically be inhabitable.
Roofs take all the pounding from hail, rain, snow and other elements of the while we stay underneath them cozy and dry proceeding about with our activities. However, these rooftops can only protect us for a specific period and they undergo various types of damages.
If you wish to see one delivering you for a long time, it is prudent to invest in roof repair services
from time to time so that any little problem with it can be addressed before it becomes significant and force you to invest more or even replace the whole roof.
Going about roof repair projects is not a direct thing because you need to address several concerns. Who is the best roof repair contractor in Dublin for the job?
How much will the repair work cost?
How often should the professional come to look at out the roof?
What if the roof is restored and the problem keeps on remaining a problem?
What types of damages are roofs susceptible to in Dublin?
These are some of the questions that will remain in your head when preparing for a roof repair project. This article will look into some essential aspects encompassing roof repairs so that at the end of it all, you won’t be lost and will definitely have an excellent idea of how to tackle such projects. Read on;
Most Common Types Of Roof Problems and Their Solutions.
These days, you are not restricted to anything when choosing a roofing material. They all can vary in terms of their resilience and susceptibility to different elements of weather condition. This section will look into some of the most common damages on your roof and how they can be fixed.
- Blow Off Damages.
These kinds of damages mostly affect slant roofs since the roofing material acts as an obstacle to the wind. The wind flow can damage the roof in many ways, and the most common one is blowing off the material from any part of the roof. It all depends on the toughness of the wind flow, and it could even blow off the material from the whole roof depending on how it is exposed. Other parts that can be damaged by the roof are the felts and sheathing that can be blow off.
Call us Today For a FREE Consultation & Quotation on 01 514 3028
Fixing blow off damages is not complicated since all one has to do is to replace the product that has been blown off. The new material should be installed to the base of the roof firmly to prevent further damage from winds.
- Structural Damages.
These problems come in various forms and could even be caused by winds and downpours. They are the ones where some wood and items around the house fall on the roof and cause destruction. A good example is a tree blown down by a windstorm and falling on a roof thus causing damage. The impact of such structural damages depends on the items that have fallen on the roof. They vary between from simple punctures on the roofing material and sheathing to the entire collapse of the roof. Some of these problems are severe and even harm some internal parts of your house.
The correct fix for such damages largely relies on the extent of the accident. For the most serious ones, a roof replacement is recommended as the best course of action. Small damages such as leaks and partial breakage of the roof structure can be fixed easily by a pro.
- Tiles & Slate.
Other causes of damage to the shingles can be by wind, impact by other items and foot traffic when someone is inspecting the roof. Old shingles can not serve their purpose anymore, and they become brittle and detract from the roof.
Fixing damaged shingles entails replacing them or even the entire roof as advised by an expert.
- Roof Leaks.
These are the most common damages to roofs today. Leaks caused by ice dams are complicated since the specific location where you will see water inside your space may not even be close to where the leak is located on the roof.
Professionals come in handy when fixing leakages, and they can do it by inspecting the cracks and flashing on the roof. They will also look at the chimney stack and vents, damaged shingles and leaks in the deck for any signs of passages that can allow water to seep through. Depending on where they spot the space, they will seal it and pour water to determine whether it still leaks or not.
- Missing Flashing.
Roof flashing is an important part of the roof. It is meant to keep water away from the roofing and building materials or any other part of that roof that can be harmed by moisture. Over time it gets destroyed and allows water to leak into the roof. Other typical problems with this part are incorrect installation or missing flashing due to various reasons.
Fixing the flashing depends on the damage to it and is mostly done by inspecting the roof and replacing them or installing the existing ones properly. Flashings are relatively durable and can be recycled.
- Gutters and Downspouts.
Rain gutters and downspouts are meant to direct water flowing on the roof away to a drainage system. This helps to prevent cases of water accumulating on the roof and activating leaks. Gutters can also be blocked by debris on the roof, and this makes them unable to let water flow freely.
Fixing it is done by examining the interior part of these gutters and clearing out any building material that might block the water path. Dents and scrapes can also be fixed to allow water to flow freely.
- Ventilation Problems.
Roof air flow needs to be in top condition since problems can allow animals and other elements of weather such as hailstones to get into your living space. They also get obstructed over time and fail to perform their functionality.
Repairing them entails inspection of the vents and installing new ones if need be.
- Roof Blistering.
Blistering on roofs is caused by trapped moisture and poor ventilation within shingles. Blisters are not much of a bother since they do not affect the roof, but the problem comes in when it pops.
Blisters should be pointed out clearly since they can be confused with other forms of problems and fixed by releasing the trapped moisture.
Roof Replacement Vs. Repair? Which Is The Best Option?
This is one major decision that you will have to make when there are damages on your roof. The cost of repairing some parts of the roofs has risen over the years, and so has the cost of changing the entire structure.
If the roof is between fifteen and twenty years old but still in excellent condition, then repairs still be the viable option. Roofs that are past twenty years old are not suitable for repair, and it is recommended to replace them rather than having a repair contractor at your place every single week.
- The extent of damage is another determinant when deciding to replace or repair. If there is some damage such as a leak, a professional will inspect and check out the extent of it. If the leak is isolated, a repair might work, but if the roof is leaking in many places, a replacement might be in order.
- You should also look at the time you are planning to stay in that home. If you have plans of selling it in a couple of years, and the roof is in top condition, repairs will be your best choice to avoid the financial implication of installing a new one.
- There is a choice of installing a new roof over an existing one rather than doing it from scratch, and it also has some implications. While it will save you hard earned cash and time, it is like covering over the damage which could even become worse over time. Building codes enable one to roof up to two layers since extra layers could become too heavy for the building. Roofing over an existing one is a short-term fix because you will have to pay much more when the time to rip the layers apart comes.
Choosing A Roof Repair Contractor in Dublin
All the information about roof repairs has been presented above, and you will be faced with the task of selecting the best roof repair contractor in Dublin. You will come across several of them telling you why they are the best option but do not fall for this. Selecting one can be done by checking on a couple of things and here are some of them;
- It is advisable to go local. Go for businesses that have a good reputation in Dublin since they are familiar with the challenges affecting your roof.
- Experience is key. Roofing repair contractors that have been in the industry for long are your desired option since they have dealt with different scenarios and can offer a proper solution to your roofing problems.
- All roofers will tell you how good their work is but you have to prove this. Ask for references and people who have worked with them for more information on how they operate. If most people were satisfied with their work, then the chances are that they are good at what they do.
- Compare and contrast the proposals offered by various contractors before choosing one. This is the best way to pick a suitable contractor since you can determine the best one out of the ones available. Assess how they approach the problem at hand and amount they quote before making a choice.
- Licencing and insurance is another important thing to look at. They matter since there are many risks associated with roofing repair jobs. You need to ensure that the contractors are insured and they also have a clause to cover for damages around your home during repair.
- Lastly, find out whether they offer emergency services. Your roofing problems might come when you do not expect, and it is important for the contractor to deal with such situations as soon as possible.
Some important points have been pointed out about roofing repair work, and you must have an idea on how to go about such problems. The typical types of damages have been presented and do not be surprised when you start seeing certain things on your roof. All in all, ensure that you plan for your roof repair project well and find a dependable professional who will do the job on it diligently.
Give us a call on 01 514 3028 for a Free Consultation